Oil Dedicated to Our Lady of Czestochowa 2
Our Lady of Czestochowa 2 from A Blessed Call To Love, Ireland.
The origin of this miraculous image in Czestochowa. Poland is unknown for absolute certainty. But according to tradition the painting was a portrait of Our Lady done by St. John sometime after the Crucifixion of Our Lord and remained in the Holy Land until discovered by St. Helena of the Cross in the fourth century. The painting was taken to Constaninople. Where St. Helena’s son, the Emperor Constantine. Erected a church for its enthronement. This image was revered by the people of the city.
During the siege by the Saracens, the invaders became frightened when the people carried the picture in a procession around the city. The infidels fled. Later, the image threatened with burning by an evil emperor. Who had a wife, Irene, who saved it and hid it from harm. The image in that city for 500 years. Until it became part of some dowries. Eventually taken to Russia to a region that later became Poland..
In September 14, 1920, when the Russian army assembled at the River Vistula. In preparation for invading Warsaw, the Polish people prayed to Our Lady. the next day was the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows. The Russians quickly withdrew after the image appeared in the clouds over Warsaw. In Polish history, this known as the Miracle of Vistula.
During the Nazi occupation of Poland in World War II. Hitler order all religious pilgrimages stopped. In a demonstration of love for Our Lady and their confidence in her protection. A half million Poles went to the sanctuary in defiance of Hitler’s orders. Following the liberation of Poland in 1945. A million and a half people expressed their gratitude to the Madonna by praying before this miraculous image.