Oil Dedicated to St Christopher (Patron for Athletics)
St Christopher Patron Athletics (Greek: Ἅγιος Χριστόφορος, Ágios Christóforos) venerated by several Christian denominations as a martyr killed in the reign of the 3rd-century Roman emperor Decius (reigned 249–251) or alternatively under the emperor Maximinus Daia (reigned 308–313). There appears to be confusion due to the similarity in names “Decius” and “Daia”. Churches and monasteries named after him by the 7th century.
His most famous legend tells that he carried a child, who unknown to him, across a river before the child revealed himself as Christ. Therefore, he the patron saint of travelers, and small images of him are often worn around the neck, on a bracelet, carried in a pocket, or placed in vehicles by Christians.
Probably the most important source of the historicity of Christophorus a stone inscription published by Louis Duchesne in 1878.
The copy of the stone inscription and the first publication took place on 7 April 1877 by Matthieu Paranikas in the Anatolia magazine in Constantinople. The stone of the size of 2 x 1 m found in the ruins of a church in the ancient Chalcedon. The inscription bears witness to the laying of the foundation stone. The construction and the consecration of a church in the name of ‘Saint Christopher’s Martyrdom.’ The inscription also bears witness to the chronological dates from the laying of the foundation stone to the consecration of the church. The construction of this Christophorus church dates back exactly to the time of the 4th Ecumenical Council, the Council of Chalcedon.