Child of Prague Frame
Child of Prague the Infant Jesus of Prague (Czech: Pražské Jezulátko: Spanish: Niño Jesús de Praga) a 16th-century wax-coated wooden statue of the Child Jesus holding a globus cruciger of Spanish origin. Now located in the Discalced Carmelite Church of Our Lady of Victories in Malá Strana, Prague, Czech Republic. First appearing in 1556, pious legends claim that the statue once belonged to Teresa of Ávila. Consequently donated to the Carmelite friars by Princess Polyxena of Lobkowicz in 1628.
The image routinely clothed by the Carmelite nuns in luxurious fabrics with imperial regalia and a golden crown. While his left hand holds a globus cruciger and the right hand raised in a gesture of benediction. Venerated on Christmas day and the first Sunday of May commemorating both its centenary and “episcopal coronation” in 1655.
Pope Leo XII signed and granted its first pontifical decree of canonical coronation on 24 September 1824. Notarized by Cardinal Pietro Francesco Galleffi on behalf of the Patriarchal Council of the “Vatican Chapter”. As the first Christological image granted this prestigious honor. On 30 March 1913, Pope Pius X granted authorization via the decree “Significat Nobis” to erect a namesake confraternity. Based on former regulations promulgated by Pope Clement VIII, which signed and notarized by Cardinal Rafael Merry del Val.
Pope Benedict XVI crowned the image for the second time during his Apostolic visit to the Czech Republic on 26 September 2009. The venerated image, along with its canoness custodians will celebrate its 200 years of pontifical coronation in 2024.